Starting an S.L.A.A. Group in your area carries the message of Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous to those still hurting and greatly enriches your own recovery. To get started, follow the recommendations below.
Download the Group Starter Kit
This kit contains all the information and resources you need to begin and is free. You will need a Rich Text Viewer and a PDF viewer for these files. Also, some browsers will not open RTF/PDF files properly. Right click the link and download the file, then open it.
Obtain the 8 Core Documents of S.L.A.A.
- The Twelve Steps of S.L.A.A. (pdf)
- The Twelve Traditions of S.L.A.A. (pdf)
- The Twelve Concepts of S.L.A.A. (pdf)
- The S.L.A.A. Preamble (pdf)
- Characteristics of Sex and Love Addiction (pdf)
- 40 Questions for Self-Diagnosis (pdf)
- Signs of Recovery (pdf)
Get the Word Out
- Place an ad in the local newspaper — don’t neglect weekly papers, especially those that run personal ads. You needn’t publish a location–just a phone number, email address, or P.O. Box number.
- Post an ad on local bulletin board websites. Contact the local professional associations of therapists and of local clergy.
- Contact local chapters of AA, NA, OA, and Al-Anon and give them your contact information in case others are looking for S.L.A.A. meetings.
Join an Intergroup
Contact the Intergroup nearest you and let them know that you have started a meeting. Intergroups serve an area of one or more cities, states, or even countries. They can help by directing newcomers to your meeting via their website and can give you valuable support to help your meeting grow. To find an Intergroup near you, visit https://slaafws.org/meetings. For information on what an Intergroup does and why it is important to join, see https://slaafws.org/what-is-intergroup.
The F.W.S. website directory contains links to all local Intergroup websites. If there is no Intergroup available to join, your group is known as a “Lone Group” and will be given an individual listing on the F.W.S. website directory upon registration. The resources and connections you will obtain from your Intergroup are vital, so join one if you can!
Register with Fellowship-Wide Services
You should register with F.W.S. after your Group has met at least three times and has had one business meeting. Registering helps the F.W.S. office provide better service to your Group and can also be important if proof of affiliation with S.L.A.A. is requested by your meeting place or the bank, should your group need a checking account. The Registration Form should be submitted on an annual basis or as needed to keep your meeting information current.
- After your Group is registered with F.W.S, you can take advantage of the Group Literature Startup Pack. An $80.40 value, this special package is available to newly registered groups for just $36. One Startup Pack per group.