Starting an S.L.A.A. Meeting in your area carries the message of Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous to hurting people and greatly enriches your own recovery. To get started, follow the recommendations below.
Download the Starter Kit
This kit contains all the information and resources you need to begin and is free. You will need a Rich Text Viewer and a PDF viewer for these files. A Sample Business Meeting Format is also included in the Group Starter Kit.
Get the 8 Core Documents of S.L.A.A.
Spread the Word
- Place an ad in the local newspaper — don't neglect weekly papers, especially those that run personal ads. You needn't publish a location–just a phone number, email address, or P.O. Box number.
- Post an ad on local bulletin board websites. Contact the local professional associations of therapists and of local clergy.
- Contact local chapters of AA, NA, OA, and Al-Anon and give them your contact information in case others are looking for S.L.A.A. meetings.
Join an Intergroup
An S.L.A.A. Intergroup is a regional service center made up of representatives of the meetings they serve. Contact the Intergroup nearest you and let them know that you have started a meeting. Intergroups serve an area of one or more cities, states, or even countries. They can help by directing newcomers to your meeting via their website and can give you valuable support to help your meeting grow. To find an Intergroup near you, visit the Meeting Finder. For information on what an Intergroup does and why it is important to join, see What is an S.L.A.A. Intergroup?.
The Meeting Finder contains links to all local Intergroup websites and their meeting lists. If there is no Intergroup available to join, your group will be given an individual listing on the Meeting Finder upon registration. The resources and connections you will obtain from your Intergroup are vital, so join one if you can!
Register with Fellowship-Wide Services
Register with F.W.S. after your Group has met at least three times and has had one business meeting to establish group conscience on the meeting format and other details. Registering helps the F.W.S. office provide better service to your Group and can also be important if proof of affiliation with S.L.A.A. is requested by your meeting place or the bank, should your group need a checking account.
- After your Group is registered with F.W.S, you can take advantage of the Group Literature Startup Pack. An $80.40 value, this special package is available to newly registered groups for just $36. One Startup Pack per group.
- To keep your registered meeting information current, use the Edit tab at the top of this page